The United States of America has many, primarily military, organizations popularly know as 'Special Operations Forces'. Many but not all of the military units are components of the Department of Defense's United States Special Operations Command.
When in the Continental United States (CONUS), most special operations forces (SOF) answer to the administration of their assigned branch of the military.
List of United States Special Operations Forces
Special Mission Units (SMUs)
- 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta ("Delta Force/ACE/CAG") (United States Army Special Operations Command)
- Special Counter-terrorist Group Delta ("G.I. Joe") (Consists of Members of all branches, under direct command of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and possibly, The Jugglers)
- Intelligence Support Activity ("The Activity") (United States Army)
- United States Naval Special Warfare Development Group ("DEVGRU/SEAL Team Six") (United States Naval Special Warfare Command)
- 24th Special Tactics Squadron ("24th STS") (United States Air Force Special Operations Command)
United States Army
- United States Army Special Forces ("Green Berets")
- 75th Ranger Regiment ("Rangers")
- 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment ("Night Stalkers"/"SOAR")
- 95th Civil Affairs Brigade
- 528th Sustainment Brigade
United States Marine Corps
United States Air Force
- United States Air Force Combat Control Team
- United States Air Force Pararescue
- Air Force Special Operations Weather Technician
- US Air Force Tactical Air Control Party
United States Coast Guard
Intelligence Community Special Units
U.S. special operations centers, schools, and courses
- Joint Special Operations University – Hurlburt Field
- Ranger School – Fort Benning
- Small Unit Ranger Tactics (SURT) – Fort Benning
- Ranger Assessment and Selection Program (RASP 1/ RASP 2) – Fort Benning
- John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School – Fort Bragg
- Naval Special Warfare Center – Coronado, California
- USAF Special Operations School – Hurlburt Field
- Marine Special Operations School – Camp Lejeune
- Marine Corps Special Operations Training Group
- Marine Corps – Basic Reconnaissance Course (Camp Pendleton, CA)
- United States Special Operations Command (SOCOM)
- United States Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC)
- United States Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command (MARSOC)
- United States Army Special Operations Command (USASOC)
- United States Naval Special Warfare Command (SPECWARCOM, NAVSOC, or NSW)
- Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC)
- Special Operations Command South (SOCSOUTH)
- Special Operations Command Korea (SOCKOR)
- List of special forces units
- Guerrilla warfare
- Light infantry
- Special reconnaissance
- Top Ten, Most Elite Special Operation Units in the US Military
- Unconventional warfare
- Urban warfare
- United States Department of Defense (5 June 2003). US DOD Dictionary of Military Terms: Joint Acronyms and Abbreviations. United States Department of Defense. United States of America. Retrieved on 11 January 2004.
- CSM Eric Haney (retired, former Delta Force operator and founding member). Inside Delta Force: The Story of America's Elite Counterterrorist Unit. Delacorte Press. ISBN 0-385-33603-9.
- Linda Robinson (2004). Masters of Chaos: The Secret History of the Special Forces. PublicAffairs. ISBN 1-58648-249-1.
- Mark Bowden (1999). Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern Warfare. Atlantic Monthly Press. ISBN 0-87113-738-0.
- Sean Naylor (2005). Not a Good Day to Die: The Untold Story of Operation Anaconda. The Berkeley Publishing Group. ISBN 0-425-19609-7.
- Special Forces Units. Retrieved on 8 October 2006.
- US Special Operation Forces – 2009 SOCOM Factbook
- Special Operations Community Website
- Learning to Fight a War
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|